Mold

Mold

WHAT EXACTLY IS MOLD?

mold in petrie dish

Mold is a type of fungi. To live and thrive, mold needs two things: a food source and moisture.  Food sources can be actual food that we eat. But for mold, the food source can also be any organic material such as wood, drywall, paper, cotton, and other materials that can be found in the home.  So basically, your house is just a big smorgasbord for fungi!  And the best way to keep it at bay and prevent an overgrowth of mold in your home is to keep the humidity levels low. Here in Florida, that tends to be a bit of a problem.  We can however, control the humidity by keeping the AC and a cool and comfortable level, and running a consumer grade dehumidifier. However, when humidity gets out of control, mold can get out of hand. 

BLACK MOLD

Did you know that some molds can cause serious illness in people?  It can even cause death in young children, elderly, or the immunocompromised. Some molds cause illnesses such as sinusitis or trigger asthma.  Mold spores are often airborne and people who are allergic or sensitive to molds can get sick from breathing in these spores. All mold isn’t deadly or even dangerous. However, there is a type of fungi known as Black Mold that has been known to cause serious illness. The scientific name for this deadly fungus is Stachybotrys.  Fortunately, when a mold colony of Stachybotrys exists in your home, it typically lies dormant on the surface.  It only becomes airborne and dangerous when disturbed.  Advice…. NEVER disturb Stachybotrys. Do not try to remove it on your own. Always call in the professionals. If someone in your home has mold allergies, or begins showing signs of mold-related illness, and you suspect that fungi is growing in your home, there is something you can do.

What to do when you suspect mold

Before and After Mold Photo

Call Water Service Pros

407-377-5607

Mold is everywhere.  However, mold can only grow and thrive when it has an organic food source (drywall, wood, paper, etc…) and a moisture source (water). If you’ve truly got mold in your home, your walls, floors, ceiling and furnishings are basically the food source of the mold.  Where we come in is to get rid of the mold and eliminate the water source.  If you don’t stop the moisture, the mold will return.

If you suspect mold in your house, chances are you have a moisture problem and possibly a leak.  You will need to have the affected area removed and dried out.  Whatever you do, do not use bleach.  Depending on the severity of the problem, bleach can sometimes make things worse, contrary to popular belief.  Water Service Pros will come out and investigate the issue. We’ll do moisture readings to determine the moisture level in the suspected area. Once we identify the problem, we can direct you to the next best solution, whether that be to call in an Industrial Hygienist, a plumber, a water leak detector, or just remove the suspicious area and clean and dry it out.  We will never tell you it’s mold, even if we suspect it.  Never trust a water restoration company who says you have mold.  It’s important to have a third party who is qualified to test and tell you what it is. The only person qualified to tell you it’s mold is an Industrial Hygienist.  When we come out to investigate the situation, Water Service Pros will give you our best suggestions and cost saving solutions.